Staying hydrated during the summer months doesn’t have to be a chore! Spritzers are one of my favourite ways to keep refreshed; they are a low calorie and delicious way to get more fluids and allow for so much creativity! And while you’re at it, why not up your mocktail game with the addition of some ‘superfood’ so that your body REALLY says ‘thank you’!?
I partnered with Genuine Health to bring you two ridiculously delicious summer mocktails made with their fermented organic gut superfoods+ that help feed your guts with the good stuff! You can mix these powders into water but these recipes really take them to a new level!
The importance of the microorganisms in our guts is becoming more and more evident as research in this area expands on the daily. While we once thought that bugs were just a nuisance, we are beginning to understand and appreciate just how important our microbiome (which is the collection of these ‘bugs’, which is mostly bacteria, in our system) really is! We have 10 times more bacteria cells in and on our bodies than we do human cells which is really incredible! The majority of these bacteria are located in our intestines: the further ‘down’ the pipe you move the more bacteria you will find. Your microbiome is as unique as your fingerprint; here are a few ways that our microbiome influences our health:
- modulating our immune system and inflammation
- enhance the bioavailability and uptake of minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and possibly iron
- mental health (your gut is packed with nerve endings that communicate with your brain, and our gut bacteria appear to play a role in modulating our mental health)
- improve digestive health
- may help influence weight loss
I personally take any chance I can to help those good guys out! You can feed the good bacteria by consuming probiotics (the good bugs themselves) or prebiotics (the food for the good bugs that helps them multiply and do good in your gut), such as those found in the Genuine Health fermented organic gut superfoods+. I wrote an article on gut health and prebiotics last year here which contains a list of foods that contain prebiotics if you’re interested!
These mocktails come together in a breeze; all you need is a shaker or a re-sealable container, some ice and a few simple ingredients including the Genuine Health fermented organic gut superfoods+. The product is made from 21 organic plant-based superfoods plus an easy-to-tolerate source of prebiotic fibre and is fully fermented to help improve digestion.
Each recipe makes one serving
Orange Ginger Mule
- ½ scoop orange ginger fermented organic gut superfoods+
- 3 oz water
- 5 oz ginger kombucha
- ½ fresh orange
- orange peel twist*
*to make the orange peel twist, peel a long thin layer of orange peel off of a fresh orange using a vegetable peeler and twist it before usinga as a garnish
- Combine the orange ginger fermented organic gut superfoods+, ice and water in a resealable shaker or mason jar, close the lid tightly and shake until the powder is dissolved.
- Empty the mixture (including the ice) into a tall glass, squeeze in the juice of the orange half and top with the ginger kombucha. Garnish with the orange peel twist and serve!
Summer Berry Pomegranate Spritzer
- 4 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped plus an extra leaf for garnish
- ¼ cup fresh blackberries plus extra for garnish
- ½ scoop summer berry pomegranate fermented organic gut superfoods+
- 3 oz water
- Sparkling water
- Muddle the chopped basil and blackberries in the bottom of a glass.
- Combine the summer berry pomegranate fermented organic gut superfoods+, ice and water in a resealable shaker or mason jar, close the lid tightly and shake until the powder is dissolved.
- Empty the mixture (including the ice) into the glass, top with the sparkling water and garnish with the extra blackberries and basil.
Thank you to Genuine Health for sponsoring this post, all opinions are my own. Click here to find a store in your area that carries Genuine Health products.