My current ingredient obsession seems to be hemp seeds, and let’s face it, could be worse! Packed full of omega-3 fats, protein and fibre, I’ll look for any excuse to squeeze them into a recipe. The walnuts in this zucchini bread add an extra dose of the same. I try to keep a loaf of this in my freezer for unexpected guests, but SOMEHOW it always disappears. I guess that’s a compliment!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 packed cups grated zucchini (don’t peel it)
- 2/3 cup dark mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
- Grease two loaf tins and line with parchment paper. Alternately you can flour them after greasing to prevent the cake from sticking.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, hemp seeds, walnuts, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Add the oil, vanilla and zucchini. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated: fold in the chocolate chips. Stir just until combined, and divide between the loaf pans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the tops are cracked a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Makes 2 loafs.