I clearly remember when I started making my own granola. It was back in the 90’s when I was going to University, waitressing during the nights to get by and watching every single penny I spent. I decided one day that it was time that I made my own granola and to save a few extra bucks, rolled up my sleeves and gave it a shot. What!? It’s THAT easy? Yes.
Fast forward to the present, and I still make my own granola! And my family eats it up. In fact, it’s so popular that they fight over it: I even give it away as Christmas gifts! And since it’s the day after Halloween when everyone is up to their eyeballs in candy but hopefully not completely done with everything pumpkin, I figured it was as good as a time as any to post a new granola recipe for you to try out!
I partnered with Paderno to create this fall-inspired version of my granola; it’s a breeze to whip up and will get the whole family excited for the change of seasons! I’m not sure about you, but most of the baking sheets that I’ve used in the past are thin, warp easily and don’t bake evenly. After years of making granola on these pans it was a treat to make it on the Paderno Professional Baking Sheet. Nothing sticks to this pan: it is such good quality and lets everything bake evenly. The baking sheets have a textured surface (series of small pyramids) that provides more air flow for even cooking. I can’t wait to do my Christmas baking on these pans this year!
Packed with fibre and a perfect hint of pumpkin pie flavour, this granola is a delicious and wholesome gluten-free cereal when you use gluten-free oats. I used both pumpkin seeds (to add fibre and healthy fats) and canned pumpkin (note, not pumpkin pie filling – filled with sugar- there is a difference) to add beta-carotene (an antioxidant that is responsible for the rich orange colour of the pumpkin) to the granola. The brown sugar adds a depth of flavour, but if you want you can leave it out or substitute it for more maple syrup or honey. Try the granola sprinkled on top of your favourite yogurt for a nutritious and satisfying breakfast or dessert! Make sure you use gluten-free versions of the ingredients if you are indeed making it gluten-free (i.e.: the oats).
Pumpkin Pecan Granola
- 4 c. large flake oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 c. pecan halves, roughly chopped
- 1 c. toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. maple syrup
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 1/3 c. canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 300F and line a large baking sheet (I used the Paderno Professional Baking Sheet) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt and mix to combine.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the maple syrup, oil, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Pour it over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Empty the bowl onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly on the pan with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake, stirring occasionally, until it is golden brown, approximately 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir in the cranberries or raisins if using. Cool and store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
Thank you Paderno for sponsoring this post!
Photography by Mackenzie Jane Photography