Hot weather makes me crave Mexican food like these prawn tacos. I’ve only been to Mexico once, so I can’t say that there’s any good reason for this association, it just happens. So when summer hits in the Okanagan like a ton of inferno bricks, out comes the BBQ and a truck load of cilantro. I eat cilantro like it is salad, seriously!
This meal takes about 15 minutes to whip together and serves 4 very happy people.
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed*
- 8 skewers of raw prawns, peeled (remove tails)
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lime, divided
- 1 avocado
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup cooked rice (optional)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- extra limes, chipotle Tabasco sauce and sliced jalapeños for serving
* we use Grimms tortillas and warm them by running the tortillas under water and briefly heating in a frying pan
- Preheat your BBQ grill.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, vinegar and half of the lime juice and stir. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl mash the avocado and mix with the other half of the lime juice and yogurt or sour cream until smooth. Season with salt to taste and set aside. You can thin it with some milk or cream if you like it less thick.
- Brush the skewers with olive oil and grill on each side until just pink – do NOT overcook!
- Serve with warm tortillas, layering the rice, coleslaw, prawns, avocado crema, cilantro and any other condiments you wish to put on them.
- Roll and devour!