I have loved baking since I was a little girl, and growing up in the Okanagan we were always surrounded by mountains of fruit in the Summer and Fall. Since I grew up in a family where wasting food was a big no-no, I started experimenting with different fruit recipes to try to make the best use of whatever was in season. I modified this recipe of my Aunty Jackies’ for Apple Cake to make it a bit healthier.
This cake doesn’t last long in my house and I don’t have the heart to tell anybody that it is actually good for them! Shhh!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
- 3 cups grated apple
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9″ x 12″ baking pan – line with parchment paper.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients (apple, eggs, oil and honey).
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.