This upside down cake is a bit of a show off. It is ridiculously moist with a delicious lemony flavour and a pretty display of peaches. You may be tempted to skip the step with the egg whites: don’t. It truly makes the cake light and airy.
You will need 3-4 peaches for this recipe, depending on the size of your pans. Plums make a great substitution for the peaches if you want to mix it up: simply half the plums length ways, remove the pit and arrange cut-side down in place of the peaches.
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. melted butter (divided if using 2 pans)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar (divided if using 2 pans)
- 3-4 large peaches, peeled and sliced*
* Immerse your peaches in boiling water for about 3 minutes, run them under cold water and the skin will easily peel off.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease the sides of two 9” round pans or one 9×13” pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Using two small bowls, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites (I use my hands – I crack the eggs into a bowl and scoop out the yolks with my hands). Be careful not to get any of the yolk in the whites. Set the whites aside.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg yolks and beat until incorporated.
- Alternately add the flour and yogurt mixtures (finishing with the flour mixture), beating well in between, until mixed.
- Using clean beaters (egg whites won’t leaven well when in contact with fat), mix the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the egg whites using a rubber spatula until just incorporated.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of the pan(s) and evenly sprinkle with the brown sugar. Arrange the peach slices along the bottom of the pan in your desired shape, gently pour the batter over the peaches, spreading with a spatula to evenly coat the peaches, and bake for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool before inverting onto a plate or cake stand.