It’s that time of year when we trade in the pumpkin for gingerbread, and I personally couldn’t be happier! I mean, I love pumpkin, but I’ve seriously tested the limits of how many pumpkin dishes a person can consume this season. Time to move on.
I wanted to create something that tasted like a cookie but is super healthy. I have nothing against cookies, but tricking your tastebuds while making your body happy isn’t a bad thing either! Ok, these actually take like gingerbread cookie dough. Not that I’ve tasted it of course…;). The whole family loved these and they take mere moments to make, which is just enough time for Max to find his way into the fridge for the 80th time and start pulling everything out. Good thing he’s cute!
Already loaded with fibre and healthy fats, I also added Genuine Health fermented proteins+ powder to give them an extra kick of high-quality protein to sustain you through the holidays because let’s face it, you’re going to need it! You can easily make these vegan by using the vegan protein powder as per below.
Makes approximately 20 energy bites
- 1 c. whole almonds
- 1 c. large flake oats
- 1/4 c. hemp seeds
- 2 scoops vanilla Genuine Health proteins+ powder (either vegan or Greek yogurt)
- 5 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. almond or cashew butter
- 12 pitted dates
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- pinch sea salt
- 2-4 Tbsp. plain unsweetened almond milk
- ground and/or finely chopped almonds (for rolling the bites in)
- hemp seeds (for rolling the bites in)
- Place all of the ingredients up to and including the sea salt in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles a very fine crumb, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Add the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until the mixture just sticks together and easily rolls into a ball: you may not need all of the milk.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of the mixture into a ball using the palms of your hands and roll each ball in either the ground almonds, chopped almonds or the hemp seeds. Set aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Thank you Genuine Health for sponsoring this healthy post!