Saturdays are my FAVOURITE day of the week. It’s the most luxurious day of the week for me: a completely selfish indulgence of family, good food and relaxing. It also happens to be the day we make pancakes or ‘angel cakes’ in our little household, like these carrot cake pancakes.
I had some leftover grated carrots and apple, and was scratching my head over what to do with the concoction. As a dietitian I would love to tell you that my son is head-over-heels for all kinds of vegetables, but that would be a flat-out lie. He’s obsessed with corn- but that’s where it ends. So, being the sneaky mommy I am, off I went to sneak some colour into his pancakes. And it worked. Happy Saturday! xo
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 c. flour (can substitute gluten-free flour)
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and add the buttermilk, vanilla and cooled melted butter
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy. Fold in the carrot, apple and raisins.
- Heat a griddle or pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat, pour into pancake shapes of your choice, and flip when the bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.