One of my all-time favourite summer meals! These turkey lettuce wraps are packed with flavour, fresh veggies and protein: really a perfect lunch or light dinner, and so easy to make. Here’s how you do it:
- 1 lb ground chicken, turkey or pork
- 1/2 chopped small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp. grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. hoisin sauce
- 1 small tin water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 3 grated carrots
- 1/2 c. peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 head of butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- sriracha hot sauce
- In a pre-heated frying pan (add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to the pan first if your meat is lean) on med-high heat, sauté the meat for about 3 minutes, until it starts to brown.
- Add the yellow onion and garlic. Stir and cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce and water chestnuts. Turn the heat to medium and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until the ingredients are incorporated and heated throughout.
- To assemble, take a lettuce leaf, spoon on the meat, carrots, cilantro, green onions and finish with the peanuts and sriracha sauce if you like some heat. Roll it up if you can (mine are always so full) and enjoy!