Don’t you love it when two of the best things in the world collide? Like, shopping and girlfriends, spare time and a cup of tea (or glass of wine, let’s be real), and strawberry and rhubarb seasons overlapping. I mean, you just can’t let something like that go to waste! Not to squander an opportunity, I created these strawberry rhubarb pancakes that will catapult you to ‘instant hero’ status in your house. And is there any better way to start a morning than with pancakes and and a pat on the back? I think not.
SHOP THE POST
These pancakes are slightly denser than my usual Angel Cakes  (if you’re in the market for an amazing simple buttermilk pancake recipe look no further), with a slight hint of vanilla and a perfect level of sweetness, swirled with a rhubarb compote and dotted with fresh strawberries. Just a light drizzle of maple syrup or a sprinkle of icing sugar and these will MAKE your brunch table, I promise! I love serving them alongside a big bowl of fresh sliced strawberries as a topping and we often serve a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt to top it off. You can substitute the buttermilk for almond milk mixed with 2 teaspoons of vinegar, use vegan butter in place of the butter and coconut whip as a topping should you wish to make them dairy free.
Totally unrelated but I couldn’t help but include a picture of my new favourite red dress below, it seemed on-point beside these little gems (I’m allergic to colour so this is a big step for little ol’ me lol).
Makes about 10 pancakes
Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes
For the Rhubarb Compote:
- 1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
For the pancake batter:
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups diced strawberries (1/4″)
- vanilla Greek yogurt (for serving)
- extra sliced strawberries (for serving)
- maple syrup (for serving)
- Combine the rhubarb and sugar in a small saucepan with 3 tablespoons of the water and cook on medium heat until the rhubarb starts to break down, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together the corn starch and remaining 1 tablespoon of water in a separate cup and, once the rhubarb is cooked, add the cornstarch mixture to the rhubarb. Stir well and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes at a slow bubble (you want to cook the cornstarch completely, which takes about this long). Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate saucepan (or microwave), melt the butter and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and add the buttermilk, vanilla and cooled melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy. Add the cooled rhubarb mixture and diced strawberries and stir gently a couple of times to swirl in the rhubarb and incorporate the strawberries (don’t over mix).
- Heat a griddle or pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat, pour into pancake shapes of your choice, and flip when the bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
- Enjoy the pancakes with a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt and extra sliced strawberries.