Happy National Sandwich Day!!! Sandwiches have become a bit of a staple in our house since having a baby: they are the ULTIMATE grab and go food (and anything that I can eat with one hand these days is pretty much perfect).
In honor of National Sandwich Day today, we’ve partnered with Dempsters to create a nutrition-packed sandwich full of fall colours and flavours. One of the things that is important to me when I choose bread for our family is that the first ingredient is a whole grain flour (you may see ‘wheat flour’ on some ingredient panels, which is refined to remove the good stuff) to give us the extra fibre we need. Dempsters 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain bread checks this box, tastes wholesome and is made with no artificial flavours or colours, which I love.
This sandwich is packed with delicious roasted vegetables and bursts with goodness at every layer. We talk a lot about ‘eating a rainbow’ in the nutrition world (code for eating as many colourful fruits and vegetables as possible), and this pretty sandwich touches all the bases. This should almost be called a vitamin sandwich!
Happy National Sandwich Day loves! xx
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 medium beets, peeled
- 1 small yam, peeled
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 8 slices Dempsters 100% Whole Grains Bread, 12 Grain variety
- 2/3 c. goat cheese
- 2/3 c. olive tapenade
- 3 c. loosely packed baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cut the zucchini, beets and yam into thin slices, approximately ¼” thick.
- Lay the vegetables evenly on the baking sheets (careful not to overlap or crowd the sheet), drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables for approximately 25-30 minutes, until they are very slightly browned around the edges. Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Lightly toast the bread and spread half of the slices with the goat cheese and the other half with the tapenade. Layer the vegetables and spinach on top of the goat cheese layer (you can layer them in the rainbow sequence!) and top it with the olive tapenade layered bread slice.
Thank you Dempsters for sponsoring this post. You can check out some other unique and delicious sandwich ideas at www.Dempsters.ca and even share your own fabulous sandwich creations tagging #DeliciousStartsWithDempsters and following @DempstersBakery on social media!