I had this squash sitting on my cupboard for a while, knowing that time was on my side (they take forever to spoil, my kinda veggie). My go-to for acorn squash typically involves throwing a dab of butter, brown sugar and salt into the middle of each half and roasting until done. Now, there’s nothing wrong with that (highly recommended in fact), but I was craving a little something different.
The combination of garlic and parmesan cheese was a perfect and simple solution to my squash dilemma. It took minutes to prepare and was a hit at the cabin, skin and all! I recommend eating these as soon as they come out of the oven as they lose their crispiness fairly quickly. They make an awesome snack or a great side dish!
- 1 acorn squash, washed, cut in half and seeded
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed (I used 2 cloves but we like garlic… a lot)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 425F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in 1/4″ slices (keeping the skin on).
- Place the cut squash in a large bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the squash slices in a single layer (half on each lined baking sheet) and roast in the oven for approximately 25 minutes, until the squash is cooked and crispy.
- Enjoy immediately!