I am 100% convinced that life simply can’t get any busier. Which is why I LOVE meals that can be easily whipped up without having to compromise on nutrition! Who’s in? One of the absolute easiest ways to jazz up a meal is by topping a plain dish with salsa. Now, I’m not talking about the salsa out of a jar: homemade is where it’s at.
Before you let out a big sigh and close this page, let me just say that making your own salsa is SO easy, especially when you have access to ingredients like kiwifruit.
I was so fortunate to partner with Zespri  Kiwifruit this month to create a dish featuring both SunGold and Green kiwifruit. The dietitian in me loves the nutrition punch that kiwifruit packs; they are loaded with vitamin C and potassium and contain an enzyme called actinidin that helps digest protein. Of course, the foodie in me adores the vibrant colour, delicious flavours and amazing texture. They are a pure work of art and are one of the most nutrient-dense fruits in the world.
This salsa can be eaten on its own with tortilla chips for a change from the standard tomato salsa, or can be spooned over grilled fish or chicken… or how about over tofu or shrimp tacos? I could go on! That same enzyme that helps with digestion also makes kiwis a great tenderizer! Either way you’re going to impress the pants off of anybody you serve this to, kids included. Using both types of kiwi really makes this dish: the Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit  are sweeter with a smoother texture, and the Zespri Green Kiwifruit  add that zip and a gorgeous colour and texture.
You can make the salsa ahead and keep it refrigerated if you are pressed for time.
- 6 filets white fish (halibut, tilapia or cod works well), room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits, peeled and diced into ¼” pieces
- 2 Zespri Green Kiwifruits, peeled and diced into ¼” pieces
- ½ c. finely chopped cilantro (plus extra for garnish if desired)
- 3 Tbsp. finely diced red onion
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all of the salsa ingredients together in a medium bowl, stir gently, and set aside. Keep it in the refrigerator if making it ahead of time.
- Lay the fish on a large plate. Combine the olive oil, salt and garlic and rub the mixture over both sides of the fish.
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium heat (a non-stick grill pan works well) and sear the fish on each side until it is golden brown and cooked in the middle (the cooking time will vary depending on the type and thickness of the fish).
- Transfer the fish to a serving platter and spoon some of the salsa over the fish. Garnish with extra cilantro leaves (you can also add some diced avocado) if desired and serve with steamed rice.
Thank you Zespri for sponsoring this post!