You know those meals that you cook ALL THE TIME….? Tacos are that meal for us. Now, we’re not talking any regular taco here. We’ve been married for six years now, and seriously, it has taken us that long to perfect this dish (I guess that’s what you can expect when a Hungarian and a Ukrainian set out to ‘master’ Mexican cooking). But man it was worth it!
If you want our all-time favourite salsa and guacamole to compliment this, just scroll down on the site or search for it. Now, if you want a margarita recipe, go to Jillian’s site (that Casamigos Tequila is ridiculous).
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 4 small tomatoes, diced (I used Roma)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 individual chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the garlic starts to soften: stir to make sure that you don’t burn the garlic (trust me!).
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt, chipotle peppers, sugar and water. Turn the heat to low, cover, and cook for approximately 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes will completely break down during this process. You may need to add a few more tablespoons of water if the sauce starts to get too thick.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. You may want to place it in a bowl with tall sides before completing this step to avoid burning yourself. Serve as a condiment to your favourite Mexican food and enjoy!