I vowed that, as a part of my New Year’s Resolution for 2016, I would plan and prepare better. A big part of this is getting ready for the week ahead of time to avoid hectic mornings that are simply not a good start to any day!
Being a mom, packing lunch for the little guy is one part of this equation. Gone are the good ol’ days where a peanut butter sandwich could be thrown together in a pinch on those crazy days. I wanted to make something healthy that the whole family could enjoy either for breakfast in a rush or for a ‘treat’ addition to a lunch. Enter these lemon blueberry oat bran muffins.
I freeze half of the batch in small individual containers so that they can easily be added to a lunch bag in a snap. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, and these muffins are packed with them. The addition of some honey and an extra egg makes them moist with a nice hit of lemon courtesy of the zest and rind.
Have a great week!
Makes 18 muffins
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1 1/3 c. oat bran
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. vanilla or lemon yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 2 c. frozen wild blueberries (or part fresh plums)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large muffin tin with paper liners. The recipe makes 18 muffins, so I use both a 12 cup and a 6 cup tin for the recipe, but you can cook them in batches if you only have one tin.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together all of the remaining ingredients except the blueberries.
- Mix the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until just mixed. Fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the muffin batter among the lined tins (it makes 18 muffins so you may need to do this in two batches if you don’t have two tins) and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean with no crumbs.