I wanted to try it with black beans to get that rich dark colour to the brownies, and they turned out AWESOME. Now, these brownies aren’t your typical chewy brownie, as they don’t have any flour in them (no gluten which is what creates that texture), but they are moist, chocolatey and absolutely delicious! My 3 year old son was over the moon that he had a brownie in his lunch yesterday, and of course I felt the same (just for a different reason).
- 1 large 14 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9″x 9″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients except the coconut and chocolate chips in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle with the coconut and chocolate chips, and bake for approximately 40-50 minutes or until the brownies are set.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest in the pan for at least 20 minutes before cutting.