This classic basil pesto recipe is a staple in our house! We grow so much basil that making pesto is a must, and it freezes well without the parmesan. Simply follow the recipe but leave out the parmesan, put into small plastic containers and drizzle a bit of olive oil on top before placing the lid on and freezing it.
- 4 cups of fresh basil leaves, washed and stems removed
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, combine the basil leaves, sea salt, pine nuts and garlic cloves. Pulse until the mixture is blended and the basil is completely broken down. While the processor is running, slowly add the olive oil through the top in a drizzle until it is well incorporated.
- At this point, if you are freezing the pesto, portion it into small freezer containers and drizzle olive oil on top before placing in the freezer.
- If you aren’t freezing it, stir in the parmesan cheese and enjoy! Amazing in pasta, on top of crostini, pizza … the sky is the limit!
Makes approximately 6 cups