We’ve been seriously crushing on arugula lately. Maybe it’s a consequence of eating our weight in spinach (we go through so much spinach!)? Paired with quinoa, this hearty arugula salad is enough for a meal, but you can top it with a filet of salmon or chicken if you wish!
Arugula is slightly peppery (also known as rocket or rucola) and is packed with nutrition including vitamins A, C and potassium. It’s right up there with kale in my house (in fact, the two are related, both are cruciferous vegetables). Skip the cranberries for a less sweet salad.
- 2 c. cooked, cooled quinoa
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1/3 c. dried cranberries (optional)
- ½ c. toasted sliced almonds
- 4 c. loosely packed baby arugula
- ¼ c. finely diced red onion
- ¾ c. cooked cooled corn niblets (ideally fresh from the cob)
- 2/3 c. crumbled feta cheese
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the salad dressing below (you may not use all of the dressing, depending on your taste).
- 1 large garlic clove (or 2 small), crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon (fresh only)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. sugar or honey
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2/3 c. canola oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar except for the oil. Whisk together and, while whisking (I use an Aerolatte or milk frother for this job, it works perfectly!) slowly pour in the oil.